The VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) simplifies VLAN configuration on a multi-switch network by propagating configuration changes to other switches. With the VTP, switches are placed in one of the following three configuration modes.
Keep in mind the following facts about VTP:
- To make VLAN changes on a switch, the switch must be in either server or transparent mode.
- If you cannot modify the VLAN configuration, the switch is in client mode.
- By default, switches are configured in server mode.
- Use the vtp mode command to configure the VTP mode of the switch.
- Use the show vtp status command to view the current vtp mode of the switch.